The Chatham Islands Council vision:
A sustainable future for our people, our Islands and for current and future generations.
This vision sets the direction of the Council and is guided by the values of:
A sustainable approach – sustainable development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
A collective approach – recognising the importance of a collective approach to achieving community well-being and the role Council plays as an advocate, a facilitator or actively leading in activities and issues that enhance the well-being of our community.
A valued community – recognising that our community is made up of a diverse range of communities and that their contributions towards community well-being is important and valued.
Embodied in the Chatham Islands Council’s vision are community aspirations, or outcomes, that have been developed by the community and help the Council to promote the social, economic, environmental and cultural well-being.
The Chatham Islands Council wants to:
- Promote community development through recreation, arts and cultural heritage.
- Enhance the health and safety of the community through an effective and reliable administration of relative legislation.
- Provide a service in a cost-effective and sustainable manner.
- Investigate the potential establishment of a library and additional housing.
Social well-being: A safe and healthy community
- Access to affordable, quality housing.
- Access to and serviced by a health provider that is accommodating to the needs of the community.
- Access to education opportunities for all ages.
- Access to quality infrastructure services.
- A safe and secure community.
- Access to recreation and sports facilities.
- A community able to live within its means whilst enjoying a standard of living.
- A community that has employment opportunities.
Economic well-being: An enterprising and innovative community
- A community that promotes economic development for its fishing, farming and tourism industries.
- Up-to-date telecommunication and information technology that supports economic growth.
- An educated, skilled workforce.
- Access to reliable and affordable transportation services.
- A community that promotes partnership with leading organisations.
Environmental well-being: An environmentally conscious community
- A community that protects, sustains and enriches the environment for future generations.
- A community that acknowledges and values Chatham Islands’ cultural heritage and its uniqueness.
Cultural well-being: A culturally enriched community
- A community that values the Chatham Islands’ ‘way of life’ and traditions.
- A community that acknowledges and values the importance of ‘tangata whenua’ as an integral part of our community.
- A community that values and supports the arts as a means of sustaining our heritage.
- A community that values its ‘taonga’ treasures.